Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Watermelon Salad- An intriguing party starter...and some super simple DIY

I joined an alumni chapter of my sorority about a year ago, and each month we have a different event. This month's event was a Pinterest Party.  The idea was to make a recipe from Pinterest that you wanted to try and bring it to the party where we would be doing Pinterest crafts.  Naturally, I was all over this idea because I pin tons of recipes and NEVER do them.

I got an idea from when I was at a friend's house and she had made a Watermelon Salad that was so intriguing and yet so delicious.  I didn't ask her for the recipe, although I should have...but I found one on Pinterest that looked like it could be a match.  I thought I was doubling the recipe, but I don't think I doubled the watermelon.  It turned out a bit soupy as a result of my yolo attitude (actually this is more of my yolo attitude) of concocting this recipe.  I also added avocado because, I mean, who doesn't like avocado (and my friend had added avocado to hers), and also I put cilantro into the salad instead of mint and dill because that's what my friend did (I think?), and I didn't really read that part of the recipe...I kind of just assumed it was cilantro!

Watermelon, onion, avocado, feta, and cilantro?  Who would have thought this would have been so delightfully delicious?  It was quite a hit at the party, several girls asked me for the recipe.  I wish I had taken a picture of it before it was devoured.  I thought it was going to be a disaster because it looked a bit gross after I added the feta cheese...but it was oh so good!  Perfect for these hot days and a great conversation starter!


We made some simple crafts from Pinterest.  I don't have the links since the crafts were supplied for us.  But the coffee mug is from the 99 Cent Store with permanent marker design (I went for a Pride and Prejudice quote- even though I think Mr. Darcy is a jerk.) and you just pop it into the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and voila!  The ink becomes permanent! I have yet to put my mug in the oven so who knows if the voila part I added is indeed that simple!
We then made coasters.  Also super simple.  Get some tiles (I think the girl said she only bought them for 16 cents a piece?  What a steal!), cut a decorative napkin to size, add a thin layer of mod podge to the tile, put the napkin on the tile, add another layer of mod podge on top of the napkin, let dry, spray with acrylic spray, and glue cork to the bottom.  Voila!  Coasters! I actually did complete this one- it really is as simple as voila!

Also, I joined BlogLovin'. Find me! Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment